- 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 dried red pepper pods
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup of cornstarch until no lumps remain, then mix in the chicken until evenly coated in batter.
- In batches, drop the chicken cubes into the hot oil one by one, cooking until the chicken turns golden brown and begins to float, about 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat.
- Stir in the dried peppers, and cook for about 30 seconds until the color brightens.
- Add the chicken, and cook for a few minutes until the chicken turns a deep, golden brown.
- Stir the vinegar, rice wine, sugar, soy sauce, and 2 teaspoons of cornstarch together in a small bowl.
- Pour into the wok, and boil until the sauce thickens and is no longer cloudy, about 2 minutes. Garnish with green onions to serve.