Ingredients: Makes 6 layers (3 layers lady fingers, 3 layers cream)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 white sugar
- 1 1/4 mascarpone cheese
- 1 3/4 whipping/heavy cream
- 4 cups of espresso coffee
- Optional: Kahlua or Baileys added into the coffee
- 1 package of lady fingers (should have 4-5 individual packages inside)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 square of dark chocolate
- separate the egg yolks from the egg whites, (save the egg whites for omelets or macarons!)
- over a double broiler, (pot of water with a metal bowl over top) add in the egg yolks and white sugar. Stir over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes. This ensures that the egg is cooked and melts the sugar
- add in the mascarpone cheese, whisk well
- in another bowl, whisk the whipping cream until stiff peaks
- fold in the egg and mascarpone mixture
- make the espresso coffee, easiest if it’s in a wide bowl. Let it cool until warm – luke warm
- dip ladyfingers into espresso, it has to be quick, submerge the lady fingers for 2-3 seconds is enough
- layer the lady fingers to cover the pan, I used a 9″x11″ inch glass pyrex pan
- apply a thick layer of the cream and spread evenly
- repeat steps 8-9 until out of cream!
- sift the cocoa powder overtop of the last layer of cream, I like to completely cover the top. It dissolves a bit after a few hours in the fridge and comes out with a dark brown top, really pretty (uncompleted picture above…. so don’t judge)
- grate the dark chocolate over top, for you know…. EXTRA CHOCOLATE. Just cause.
- cover and let it sit in the fridge for at least a few hours, tastes best if left overnight.