Squid Ink Hamburger Buns Ingredients: 4 Servings
- 1/2 pack active dry yeast
- 1/2 pound flour
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 large egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp squid ink
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 egg beaten
- 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
Burger Bun Directions:
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Place yeast into bowl of a large stand mixer; whisk in 1/4 cup flour and warm water until smooth. Let stand until mixture is foamy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Whisk egg, melted butter, sugar, squid ink, and salt thoroughly into yeast mixture. Add remaining flour.
- Fit a dough hook onto stand mixer and knead the dough on low speed until soft and sticky, 5 to 6 minutes. Scrape sides if needed. Poke and prod the dough with a silicone spatula; if large amounts of dough stick to the spatula, add a little more flour.
- Transfer dough onto a floured work surface; dough will be sticky and elastic but not stick to your fingers. Form the dough lightly into a smooth, round shape, gently tucking loose ends underneath.
- Wipe out stand mixer bowl, drizzle olive oil into the bowl, and turn dough over in the bowl several times to coat surface thinly with oil. Cover bowl with aluminum foil. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface and pat to flatten bubbles and form into a slightly rounded rectangle of dough about 5×10 inches and about 1/2 inch thick. Dust dough lightly with flour if needed. Cut dough into 4 equal pieces. Form each piece into a round shape, gently tucking ends underneath as before.
- Use your hands to gently pat and stretch the dough rounds into flat disc shapes about 1/2 inch thick. Arrange buns about 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Dust buns very lightly with flour. Drape a piece of plastic wrap over the baking sheet (do not seal tightly). Let buns rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- With the other half of the egg, mix with milk in a small bowl, using a fork, until mixture is thoroughly combined. Very gently and lightly brush tops of buns with egg wash without deflating the risen dough. Sprinkle each bun with sesame seeds.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned on top, 15 to 17 minutes. Buns will stick together slightly where they touch. Let cool completely, tear the buns apart, and slice in half crosswise to serve.
- Can freeze for up to 2 months
Ahi Tuna recipe:
- tuna filet(tuna steak)
- Japanese rice seasoning
- 1 tsp wasabi
- Spread the wasabi to cover the fillet and coat the fillet in the rice seasoning
- Fry on medium high heat, 1 min each side
- repeat for the amount of servings you need
Plate with homemade buns and impress your guests!
I used the same burger buns with Salmon burgers and it was just as delicious!