Strawberries and Creme Macarons!
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- Pinch of tartar
- Pink food coloring
Strawberry Buttercream icing:
- 1 cup softened butter
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup Jam
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
Yogurt Chips to dip
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- With a mixer on medium speed, whisk the egg whites until foamy
- Reduce speed to low, adding the superfine sugar slowly Increase speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes.
- Add food coloring at this step, continue whipping for another 30 seconds or until incorporated.
- In 2 separate additions, add the flour, and confectioners sugar mixture into the egg whites, folding after every addition
- Be sure not to over work batter. Batter should be smooth and shiny
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Spoon the batter into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you’re out of batter. Layer the coloring.
- Pipe 3/4-inch rounds (1-inch apart) on parchment paper, dragging pastry tip to the side of the rounds, rather then up forming peaks
- Rap each sheet on counter top, to release air bubbles Let rounds rest on countertop for …. wait for it….1.5 hours! Yes, you read it right, that is our secret to any beginners Macarons.
- In the mean time, make the icing
- Mix all the ingredients together for the icing in a mixer
Ready to Bake:
- Reduce oven temperature to 320 degrees
- Bake 1 sheet at a time until crisp and firm, about 10 minutes
- After each batch increase the oven to 375 degrees for 5 minutes then bring temperature down to 325 degrees before baking
- After baking, let cool for about 15 min
- Fill up with icing
- Close up the macarons and refrigerate
- Melt the yogurt chips over a double broiler
- Dip the cold macarons into the yogurt half way, lay flat to dry
- Return to refrigerator before serving