Smore Macarons! These turned out surprisingly good. I’ve never tried making macarons with anything other than almond meal. The cookie part of this treat turned out a bit harder than usual, but still delicious!
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- Mini Chocolate chip cookies
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 1 cup dark chocolate melts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- With a mixer on medium speed, whisk the egg whites until foamy
- Reduce speed to low, adding the superfine sugar slowly Increase speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes
- In 2 separate additions, add the flour and confectioners sugar mixture into the egg whites, folding after every addition
- Be sure not to over work batter. Batter should be smooth and shiny
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Spoon the batter into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip
- Pipe 3/4-inch rounds (1-inch apart) on parchment paper, dragging pastry tip to the side of the rounds, rather then up forming peaks
- Rap each sheet on counter top, to release air bubbles Let rounds rest on countertop for …. wait for it….2 hours! Yes, you read it right, that is our secret to any beginners to Macarons.
- In the mean time, make the marshmallow filling and allow it to completely cool and solidify before using
- whisk the egg white until it foams, add half the white sugar
- as it begins to form peaks, add the rest of the sugar, tartar and vanilla
- whisk until it has stiff peaks
Ready to Bake:
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees
- Bake 1 sheet at a time until crisp and firm, about 10 minutes
- After each batch increase the oven to 375 degrees for 5 minutes then bring temperature down to 325 degrees before baking
- After baking, let cool for about 15 min
- On half of the macaron shells, melt the dark chocolate chips and dip the top into them.
- Fill up with the marshmallow frosting on half of the macarons
- Close up the macarons and refrigerate before serving!